A nice way to stay in touch with loved ones, and a convenient way to share my opinions without having everyone just walk away...wait a minute, where are you going? I wasn't finished..

Saturday, November 15, 2008

Saturday

It's 4:30 PM. It's been a fun and funny day. Note Dame beat Navy, but gave up a couple touch-downs in the last few minutes to make it close at the end (27 - 21). So it was a win that folks can still complain about, and everybody's happy.
It was also open-house day for the tax and bookkeeping service. My friend Jose is the best kind of ambitious, the high energy, excited kind. We had a decent turn out, but word of mouth and references are the best ways to ramp up business and Jose is also big on fostering an almost familial clientelle.
If businees doubles again this year we'll need a second shop next year, but we (I) need to develop an Anglo clientelle as well as the bookkeeping business. I neeed a website, and to do some cold (phone) calling. Pretty much everybody needs to file returns, so the tax service is a good thing to call about and provides an opportunity to introduce the bookkeeping service as well.
I'm not real confident of my ability to set up a web site, but I can get some advice from son-in-law Ross and Janett and get something up. Primitive is fine if presentable, I just want a site where people who Google tax or bookkeeping in Elgin can find us. And as Jose says "The only one who can stop you is yourself, or something like that." Here's a picture of Jose and I setting up the canopy out front, and one of me and the padre who came by to bless the venture, and one of little Ownie, who I think has a very grown up appearance for a six month old.

















4 comments:

Steph Stanger said...

Dad that is all very adorable and exciting! Life has such funny turns and adventures.

Kimberly Cangelosi said...

Hi Dad! Great pictures! Sounds like it was a pretty fun day. Ross says he'd love to help out with the website. We'll try to get in touch soon and figure out a good time. Love you!

Scott said...

So Andy what do you make of the dollar surging while the Fed is printing billions to bail out billionaires? I can't figure it out myself and the money I have in gold is tanking fast.

Andy said...

Hi Scott,

I know I encouraged you to feel comfortable with gold in your 401k.
When gold hit 1000 I commented here that it would still go higher, but I wasn't buying because in the short term it could be affected by the general disinflation that was likely to hit the commodity markets.

It's not like copper that suffers from a decline in demand due to a slow down in construction, or oil that falls 50% due to a 5% decline in demand. It's some kind of liquidity preference, where folks in uncertain times just want to hold T-Bills. You and I and they know running the money printing press round the clock will lead to severe inflationary pressures, but just at the moment we're heariing that the Fed is more worried about a deflationary economy throwing us into a depression, so the dollar at the moment looks like a good investment.

The other problem, as in the equity markets, is forced liquidation. Highly leveraged speculators get margin calls amd have to sell whatever they can to keep from getting closed out and losing pretty much every thing.

In fact I think gold is buyable at this level. The only thing I did't sell out of in my stock accont was my Gold Corp warrants. I know they're pretty well beat up right now, but I'm not worried about them. And I'm not one of those people who helieve the financial commentators who keep saying "Now is not the time to sell" while the narket falls 50%.
Like you, I know the weakness in the banking system has not yet been exposed. First mortgages, then consumer credit, and then the big jamoca, corporate debt failure will put the final blow to the banks - and the government will have to print a trillion dollars so the insurers can pay off depositors. The rise in gold value will only be limited by the fear the govt. will make private holdings illegal.