A nice way to stay in touch with loved ones, and a convenient way to share my opinions without having everyone just walk away...wait a minute, where are you going? I wasn't finished..

Monday, July 27, 2009

There might be a problem when Janett gets home.

This morning I went along with Janett to her doctor's apppointment. It was a routine visit and they discussed changes in prescriptions. The doctor's office is in Algonquin and happens to be close to a mall with a Butera's grocery store. Algonquin isn't fancy but its a little up scale from Elgin, and this Butera's was formerly a Piggly Wiggly, and the store is nice and not over 10 years old. So I mentioned to Janett that maybe we should drop by the Butera's, since this was the one Butera at which I had a chance of getting her to shop. Well, no, she didn't think we needed anything. I was a little disappointed to miss the chance to get cold cuts and sliced cheese for half of what they charge at Jewel, Dominicks, or even Meyers. But she's been doing a good job with the household budget and I have to defer in these matters, so we went on about our business.
Then a little after five she dropped by downstairs to tell me she was going to help Steffie shop for some go-to-work clothes for a temporary position that had opened up at the church. (Good luck Steffo!)
Well, she's never actually forebidden me from doing a little shopping at our local Butera's. So when I left the office I hopped in the car and headed straight for that den of grocerial iniquity, that open pit of dirty floors and stale-date-challenged provender. I couldn't help it.
But driving the few blocks to the store I realized that it could be argued that we might not really need any sandwich meat or cheese slices, and I dare not risk over stocking and exposing myself to the "You're not saving money if I end up throwing it away" reproach, and I began to shift my objective toward a quick hot ready to eat meal from the deli counter, Yeah, that was the ticket!
Providentially, the first special island in the produce department offered a selection of Racine Bakery Kolacky's for which Janett is known to have a weak spot. Good find. Three and half dollars, and worth every penny. Then some house brand hot dog buns and a package of Scott Peterson franks for 99 cents each. Who could resist - 8 meals for under two dollars. But when I got to the hot entree counter the lady had started cleaning up and the selecton was limited to Mexican (boiled?) beef, or cabbage rolls for 4.99 per pound. I debated with myself, confused and not hopeful of a really good outcome, and then I noticed some cello wrapped containers on the counter top. Some of the day's leftovers at even further reduced prices. Well it wasn't batter fried tilapia or barbecued ribs but it was cheap food.
So I grabbed one of each; chicken nuggets (1 1/4 lb for .97) jalapeno poppers (1 1/4 lb for 1.50) and six egg rolls for 2.10, even though that necessitated the expenditure of an additional dollar and a half for sweet and sour sauce. On the way to the register I did pick up sliced Deluxe American cheeze for $5. But that usually happens, partly because I see it as a desirable commodity and also as a blow struck against the purveyors of the ubiquitious "processed cheese food"
There you have it, a virtual cornucopia for $16. Oh, and at the register, as further justification for this little excursion, I also picked up a quick pick for tomorrow's mega million game. If we win tomorrow night any lingering unhappiness over my behavior will be washed away in a tidal wave of money,

Now I'm home. I ate some chicken nuggets and jalapeno poppers but there's a lot left. I'm saving the egg rolls to enjoy with my little sweetie. But I'm kind of nervous that the phone's going to ring at any second and it will be Janett asking if I want her to bring home McDonalds.

4 comments:

Steph Stanger said...

Pretty funny Dad, we had Sonic! So you were probably off the hook?

Also it's just 2 days I'm working at church for the conference. I just need some clothes that aren't t-shirts because I'm a diferent size after Owen was born and my wardrobe is limited!

Andy said...

Well, Steff, not entirely off the hook. I got the "I'm not angry, I'm hurt" treatment. I deserved it. I'm a bad person. But I love you.

Kimberly Cangelosi said...

Laughing my head off! Too funny Dad! I think it's healthy for married people to do solo shopping once in awhile :D

Andy said...

Hi Kimbo

Hope you're having a wonderful time