A nice way to stay in touch with loved ones, and a convenient way to share my opinions without having everyone just walk away...wait a minute, where are you going? I wasn't finished..

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Gnostics

I don't usually rant but if I hear about one more Gnostic text "which may provide insights into early Christianity" I'm going to break something. If some looney, bug eating Egyptian hermit monks tried to incorporate the existence of Jesus into their Babylonian paganism, they deserve the ignominy of the oblivion to which they have been relegated.

A year ago we were hearing about the Gospel of Thomas, then six months ago it was the Gospel of Mary Magdalen, now it's the Gospel of Judas. I suppose in part, the media is trying to cash in on the DaVinci/Grail craze, but to gush over these writings as though the "supressed" texts are anything but garbage is a not so subtle attempt to dilute and subjectify Christianity. It is this anti-Christian tendency of the media which I find so annoying.

2 comments:

Kimberly Cangelosi said...

Well said! I saw a lady on Headline News practically bouncing in her seat, eyes as big as saucers, announcing that "this could change Christianity as we know it!"

Christianity Today has blogged on the subject here.

Here's an excerpt:
There are signs of a backlash against the initial suggestions that the Gospel of Judas could shake the foundations of Christianity. After an initial wave of poor reporting and misrepresentation, articles now are in corrective mode, noting that this newly released manuscript is far too young, unreliable, and anachronistic to tell us anything about Jesus or Judas, and it seems to offer little new information even about second- and third-century Gnosticism. There seems to be growing doubt that this is even the Gospel of Judas discussed by Irenaeus.

Steph Stanger said...

Hi Noah! I just saw your post on Dads other post and thought maybe I could beat you hear! Love ya