A nice way to stay in touch with loved ones, and a convenient way to share my opinions without having everyone just walk away...wait a minute, where are you going? I wasn't finished..

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

How many days till the Irish kick off?

I'm listening to the TV news on the PBS. Have you ever heard the phrase "Whistling past the graveyard?" That's the way I feel when I hear contemporary journalists recount the day's events.

I caught a little bit of a show about Woodie Guthrie tonight. It made me nostalgiac for an America I barely remember. You know he wrote that song This Land is Your Land at the height of the depression, and told the people "This land belongs to you and me." I hope people still feel this land belongs to them, but I doubt it.

So I went to read some H L Mencken. His cynicism can make me feel positively Pollyanna-ish. Unfortunately this is the quote I came across.

The Presidency tends, year by year, to go to such men. As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."

Saints Preserve Us

1 comment:

Steph Stanger said...

How does "how many days till the Irish kick off?" go with this post? I thought you were refering to ND football.

Interesting post though Dad. I'm sorry politics have gotten to be so depressing for you. I don't think about it that hard...not that that's a good thing. There is a ton to be worried about though! Global warming, all the madness in the middle east. The millions of people dying of aids and living in extreme poverty in the worlds poorest countrys...