A nice way to stay in touch with loved ones, and a convenient way to share my opinions without having everyone just walk away...wait a minute, where are you going? I wasn't finished..

Saturday, January 07, 2006

About fifteen years ago I was invited to be my friend Terry’s best man. I’ve been to weddings and heard the best man tell funny stories about the groom, but I didn’t have any funny stories about Terry. Besides they had an M of C who did that.

I said some nice things about Terry and his bride and said their relationship was characterized by their courage and kindness, and that was my toast – to their courage and kindness. In the years since I’ve thought of how important those attributes are.

A couple of years ago I saw a TV show and they had done a survey and announced the most important ingredients in a successful relationship are compatibility and a shared dream. Isn’t that precious? Give me courage and kindness every time.

It takes courage to decide whether to buy groceries or get the brakes fixed, courage to go to work when you messed up and the boss isn’t happy, courage to sign on the bottom line for a mortgage or business loan, courage to go to the doctor when you don’t want to hear what he has to say. And always kindness. Because kindness preserves and enhances the dignity of both. Our beloved cannot be what we want them to be without our kindness, to appreciate, to sympathize, to encourage.

So always practice courage and kindness, and good luck

2 comments:

Steph Stanger said...

thats nice Dad!! I totally agree! You are one of the kindest people I know and pretty darn brave too.

Kimberly Cangelosi said...

Well said!