A nice way to stay in touch with loved ones, and a convenient way to share my opinions without having everyone just walk away...wait a minute, where are you going? I wasn't finished..

Friday, October 29, 2010

partial repost of item from a couple years ago because of my mood.

The Dark Irish

The term generally refers to Irish with dark complexions and black hair. I heard it theorized once that they descended from sailors from the Spanish Armada who swam ashore and stayed in Ireland. I think it's the Celtic strain, the old Irish from before the fairer Gaels and later the Vikings invaded. Even though the Celts were spread all over modern Europe 2500 years ago the bloodline and culture remain purest in the remote corners of the continent, Galicia in Spain, the Vendee in France and in the west of Ireland. The music and dance of these regions reflects a common heritage.

But, the phrase to me brings to mind the darker side of the Irish psyche. The inclination to wish ill to the prosperous, to suspect that their misfortunes result from conspiracies against them and betrayal, and to turn bitterly on their fallen heroes.

4 comments:

Kimberly Cangelosi said...

I have probably told you this before but Bono once said that in America a man looks at the guy with the house on the hill and says, "One day I'm gonna be like him!" but in Ireland a man looks at the guy with the house on the hill and says, "One day I'm gonna get that bastard!"

Andy said...

Thanks, Kim. That made me laugh and lifted my spirits.

Kimberly Cangelosi said...

Hi Dad! How are things going at the new apartment? Have you watched anything on your tv yet? Love you!

Steph said...

awesome quote Kim, funny.

I'm was trying to figure out which is the way I think. I can't relate completely to either thought, probably more the American way. I wouldn't say I'm immune from wanting more because I could give you a list right now of all the things I want. =) But generally speaking, I'm content and thankful. I think I got that from the way you and Mom raised us Dad. To be empathetic with those that had less and to be glad for what we had. You did well!