A nice way to stay in touch with loved ones, and a convenient way to share my opinions without having everyone just walk away...wait a minute, where are you going? I wasn't finished..

Sunday, June 28, 2009

On C-Span this morning

a guest was an economist I think named Peter Marici, from (I think) the University of Maryland. He seemed very direct, and down to earth. Seemed to blame politicians more than bankers and businessmen for mishandling the economy. He seemed more sympathetic towards Bernanke and the Fed Reserve Bank than toward Geithner and Summers in the administration. I object to his weak critique of the bankers as merely short-sighted and making honest mistakes, as compared to politicians who are irresponsible and concerned only with the next election. He, fails for one thing, to observe that the "short sighted" bankers and businessmen engaged in intense and expensive lobbying and bribed the congressmen through their election campaign contributions to change the laws to enable the bankers to make "short-sighted mistakes". I grew more suspicious of his folksiness as he continued.

One thing he alluded to that was news to me that there is a plan developing to have the Federal Government guarantee state issued debts. I have't thought through the implications, but they're huge.

2 comments:

Kimberly Cangelosi said...

Can I just say I hate the word folksiness? It makes me feel like I can't use words like "gosh" and "dang it" without appearing disingenuous. People used to throw it around a lot after Palin would talk and it always made me squirm. I propose from now on we simply use the term "bull shit." It's less descriptive, unfortunately, but it is also less likely to hurt the feelings of people who occasionally employ folksy-isms. Just a thought :P

Andy said...

Hi Kim,

He didn't use a lot of colloquialisms, or lapse into the vernacular (but very few three syllable words). It was more a very direct manner, and with some velocity as if to say; "It's really very simple if you see it the way I do. End of discussion."